Cynics Anonymous

I go to as many gigs as is financially possible and thought it would be sensible to keep a journal of gigs I go to, cds I buy, new and old bands I come across and anything else I fancy going on about.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

19 April - Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins @ GUU Debating Chamber, Glasgow.

I still can't believe that I managed to get a couple of tickets for this. Being slow off the mark, all agencies soon advertised that the gig was sold out but a last ditched attempt was successful and I am so glad I persevered.



The Debating Chamber at Glasgow University Union (not to be confused with the Queen Margaret Union) is like a church and I recon holds about 400/500, and it was the first time I'd been but I'd heard excellent reviews especially after Arcade Fire played there and the reports were right. Its very intimate without being small, and by being all seated meant the views were all pretty much unrestricted.

Jonathan Rice opened, I suppose it's easy to get support slots when your going out with the main act and his set was ok, I'm not a huge fan. He’s a bit like 90s Scottish band Del Amitra for me and I won't rush out to see him again.

But the same certainly can't be said for Jenny Lewis. Her set was amazing and the best gig I've been to this year. She wouldn't be out of place in the 60's and I hope she'll be as fondly remembered as the top women singers of that decade as she is easily as good. A beautiful voice, assisted by the fine Watson twins, and some of the most beautiful songs I think I've ever heard. If you don't already own her new album "Rabbit Fur Coat" then go out and buy it, believe me you won't be disappointed.