Cynics Anonymous

I go to as many gigs as is financially possible and thought it would be sensible to keep a journal of gigs I go to, cds I buy, new and old bands I come across and anything else I fancy going on about.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

7 August - Belle & Sebastian @ Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh.


I hate travelling to Edinburgh for a gig. The M8 is dull, parking in Edinburgh is a nightmare, the venues are rubbish and I just don't find it a welcoming city, but occassionally needs must and there will occassionally be a gig that I just can't miss and tonight falls right into that category for me.

Tonight was a T in the Fringe gig in Princes Street Gardens, which is the park between Princess Street and the castle. A picturesque venue, especially when darkness fell illuminating the castle above the stage, what an amzing backdrop.

Support came from the marvellous Camera Obscura. They played a good mix of old and new songs and it's god to see they continue to do well. They are an underrated band in my opinion and deserve all the plaudits. Tracey Anne's voice is beautiful and I could have listened to them all night. If you haven't already check them out.

This was my 15th Belle & Sebastian gig and they never get dull. They have such a large bag cateloge they are able to play different gigs and they always seem to pull a surprise or 2 out of the bag and this was no different. My favourite song "Jonathan David" was the highlight and the climax was "Lazy Line Painter Jane" with accompanying vocals from Monica Queen who sang on the original ep in 1997. I saw her in the audience and when the band reappeared for the encoure, Stuart invited her to the stage to sing with them. The entire set list was as follows;

* Another Sunny Day
* Sukie In The Graveyard
* The Model
* A Summer Wasting
* Dirty Dream Number Two
* Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie
* The Wrong Girl
* If She Wants Me
* We Are The Sleepyheads
* Lord Anthony
* Funny Little Frog
* If You're Feeling Sinister
* The Blues are Still Blue
* Dog On Wheels
* I'm A Cuckoo
* Jonathan David
* If You Find Yourself Caught In Love
* Judy And The Dream Of Horses
* ENCORE
* Me And The Major
* Lazy Line Painter Jane

A great gig and made even better as I was able to take my daughter, who is also a big B&S fan, obviously! Roll on gig number 16!!

Al